Started a blog recently? Overwhelmed by all the advice and the things you suddenly discover you need to be doing, right now?
Well, here’s another one to add to your list! (But don’t worry – this one’s a super quick win that you won’t need to worry about again once you’ve done it – that’s my kind of blogging task!)
Have you noticed how on some blogs commenters have avatars (or profile pictures) when they comment?
That’s because of Gravatar. If you don’t have one, your comment will look like this:
Your Gravatar follows you everywhere online. Blog comments, forums… you name it. It’s there. It’s associated with your email address and will follow you wherever you go.
Are you using one?
Why Use a Gravatar?
As a blogger, you want to build up your street cred so people recognize your name and your face and connect it with your super-intelligent blog comments.
It’s all about brand recognition and trust!
There’s another great thing about Gravatar – having one looks more professional and like you’re a real human.
Did you know that less than half of all internet traffic is actual people? I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that stat.
Using a Gravatar helps show that you’re the real deal – a real person – and it builds trust, gives you credibility and helps you grow your authority in your niche.
If you’re a blogger, and you have comments on your blog that you reply to, you need this set up on your blog. STAT!
What You Need:
- A profile picture
- An email address to be associated with your picture and website
- Access to your WordPress dashboard
How to Set up Your Gravatar
- Open Gravatar.
- Click on Create Your Own Gravatar.
- Click Create your account, or login if you have a WordPress.com account.
- Activate your account via the confirmation email link.
- Click Sign in to Gravatar and login on the confirmation page.
- Upload your image by clicking on Add one by clicking here!
- You can either upload an image from your computer, import it from a URL, or use your webcam to take a photo.
- Follow the prompts to add your image.
- Crop it to your liking then click Crop and Finish!
- Choose a rating for your Gravatar. Sites can limit what level of Gravatar can be used on their site – G-rated can appear on any site, whereas PG-rated will not appear on G-rated sites.
What image should you use?
Why, an image of your smiling face of course! It doesn’t need to be a glamour shot (though it can be if you want).
Just make sure to use the same profile picture on your Gravatar as you do on your blog, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and any other social media sites. That way you’re building up the recognition factor over all your platforms.
Now, How Do You Actually USE Your Gravatar?
As a Blog Owner
Here’s how to add your Gravatar to your WordPress account so that you can reply to comments with your Gravatar picture enabled:
- On your WordPress dashboard, jump over to Users > Your Profile.
- Look for Contact Info. Enter your Gravatar email in the email section.
- Click Update Profile. You’ll now see your Gravatar under Profile Picture.
Want to change your Gravatar? Click on the link to go to the Gravatar site.
For Blog Commenting
If a site has Gravatar enabled, all you’ll need to do is use the email address associated with your Gravatar account when you make a comment.
How to Enable Gravatars on Your Site (for all users)
You can change how Gravatars appear on your site by:
- Navigating to Settings > Discussion.
- Jump down to Avatars.
- Change the settings to your liking – you can remove Gravatars, set the rating for your site, and the default image for users who don’t have Gravatar.
- Click on Save Changes.
Now when someone comments, their image will appear. And when you respond, yours will too!
That’s a Wrap
Having a Gravatar set up is an essential part of a polished web presence. And it’s super easy! Quick wins are my favorite thing!
Have you just updated your gravatar? Leave us a comment below so we can check out your gorgeous face.